Saturday, December 15, 2007

I Decided, Long Ago...

And the best concert of the year goes to Julie Doiron, who performed at the South Union Arts Center in Chicago this summer, which is known for, among other things, its neon crucified Jesus hanging from the ceiling. It is an old converted church which reminds me of the Paradiso in Amsterdam. It is also a byob.

Julie beat out Erin Mckeown and Explosions in the Sky, both of whom also had good shows. Watch the movie though, and see how hard it is not to love a Canadian in red dress.

As far as music goes, I've been listening to a lot of Folk and Bluegrass. Three favorites for the time being are:

King Wilkie: Low Country Suite (just listen to Savannah or Raising of the Patriarchs)

Railroad Earth: The Black Bear Sessions (try Seven Story Mountain)

Julie Doiron: Woke Myself Up

King Wilkie hails from Charlottesville, VA and they have the whole Southern Gothic thing going on, which is pretty great. If I were a famous musician I'd find it irresistible not to do a Southern Gothic concept album. As I'm not yet famous I'm going to have to call on the Decembrists to put one out in the next year, considering the work they did on Crane Wife. It should sound like a musical, and contain lyrics either about kissing dead people or falling in love with your sister. Preferably both. You heard it here first.

And coming soon...

I've finally finished a few poems I started last year. Be looking for those to be posted in the coming weeks.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home