Saturday, January 27, 2007

Among the perils of running a household of one: my nemesis the refrigerator.

Actually optimism and thrift may be my elements of hubris in this case. Two nights ago was the second time in the past few months I have woken up puking. Ok, so maybe the slightly slimy tomato at the bottom of the fridge wasn't so good after all. Or maybe it was the yellow pepper… it’s hard to tell when so much of your food stays around so long.

Since I was young I have had an aversion to retching which borders on the neurotic. By the time I was ten I had trained my stomach against this upchucking so well that for ten years I never barfed. This herculean record ended my sophomore year with an unfortunate encounter with some summer sausage. Those of you who have tried this abomination of preservatives may take pity on me. But what really is the problem with puking? Surely not the actual, involuntary vomiting, for once that is over we all feel much better. Indeed, many times it seems to be nature's way of helping us expel harmful digestants. Perhaps it is the undeniable realization that we are retching. That, no matter how much we would like to be dualists, Aristotle was right: we are body and mind together.

Sometimes we are just wretched people retching.

And that is a truly humbling experience.

1 Comments:

Blogger oh my everything!!! said...

a couple weeks ago, as i was subbing in a 1st/2nd grade classroom, a powerful headache and a strange dizziness came over me... whether it was right or not, i told another adult (not a teacher) that i was heading to the restroom quickly... and i got there just in time! the horrid monster of puking took over...and i surrendered (overgeven in dutch, i believe...). THANKFULLY there were no other teachers in the restroom at the time....

it's crazy, really. just when you think you are FINALLY finished with the seemingly immature/childlike sickness of puking, it's ugliness appears--just to remind you, whether you have forgotten or not!

sorry you've had this experience as of late, kurt!

1/27/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home